COVID-19 Update - March 12, 2020
Deer Park ISD is joining nearly every school district in the greater Houston area in canceling school for next week, March 16-20, due to growing concerns over the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19). All University Interscholastic League (UIL) and other school-related events scheduled for next week are also canceled.
This decision was made out of an abundance of caution and concern for the health and safety of our students and employees, particularly those who are medically fragile or who have weakened immune systems. The decision was made by area districts cooperatively and with input from the state commissioner of education.
Our previous update mentioned that a decision would come after a county conference call tomorrow (Friday), but we feel that it is best to inform parents about the decision as soon as possible.
We continue to encourage students, employees, and community members to follow these preventative methods, which will help reduce the spread of viruses such as COVID-19:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60 percent alcohol (if soap and water are not available);
There are a number of rumors regarding COVID-19, but it is vitally important that we focus on the facts. With that in mind, Harris County has addressed a number of rumors on its website. To view the Rumor Control website, click the following link, scroll down the page, and click the tab marked “Harris County Coronavirus Rumor Control.”
TALKING TO YOUR CHILD ABOUT CORONAVIRUS
We have posted a document prepared by the National Association of School Psychologists and the National Association of School Nurses on the main District website. This resource includes recommendations for speaking to your child about coronavirus. To download the file, go to www.dpisd.org and click "Talking to Your Child About Coronavirus (March 12, 2020)."
LEVEL 3 TRAVEL HEALTH NOTICE QUARANTINE
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advise that individuals who have traveled to one of the countries that have a Level 3 Travel Health Notice should self-quarantine for 14 days. These individuals should stay home for 14 days from the time they left a Level 3 Travel Health Notice country and practice social distancing.
- Harris County Public Health Department -
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -
- World Health Organization -