COVID-19 Update - February 27, 2020
Deer Park ISD continues to monitor the situation involving Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), which originated in Wuhan City, China and has been detected in other countries around the world. We are sharing the following information with parents and community members.
WHAT IS THE CURRENT SITUATION IN OUR AREA REGARDING CORONAVIRUS?
The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s most recent update about the virus states, in part, “This virus is NOT currently spreading in the community in the United States.” However, health officials consider Coronavirus to be a serious health threat, the CDC states, “The immediate health risk from COVID-19 is considered low.”
ARE THERE ANY CONFIRMED CASES IN OUR AREA?
There are no confirmed cases of Coronavirus in Deer Park ISD or in Harris County. The District remains in close contact with the Harris County Department of Health and Human Services and other health organizations.
HOW CAN I AVOID GETTING SICK?
We are currently experiencing flu season, and cases of strep are also common. Thus, the preventative methods recommended to citizens for COVID-19 should be familiar, because they are essentially the same as those for other respiratory viruses:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick;
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth;
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces;
- Stay home when you are sick, except to get medical care;
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds;
- Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol, if soap and water are not available;
- Children with a fever must wait 24 hours before returning to school (without taking fever-reducing medication).
WHAT ELSE IS DEER PARK ISD DOING?
District employees routinely remind students to wash their hands and avoid sharing foods, drinks, or utensils. Our custodial team members regularly clean our facilities using QUAT 256 cleaner, which is a hospital-grade disinfectant effective against disease-causing viruses and bacteria. We have also installed 50 additional hand sanitizer stations in our schools.
HOW DOES COVID-19 COMPARE WITH OTHER VIRUSES?
At this point, COVID-19 has resulted in about 75,000 confirmed cases and 2,000 deaths worldwide, primarily in mainland China. Those numbers are very small compared with the flu, which has resulted in about 26 million cases and about 14,000 deaths in the United States this season, according to the CDC. However, the primary difference noted by health officials is that they are very familiar with the flu, whereas Coronavirus is a new illness, and they are still learning about it.
- Harris County Public Health Department
- United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- World Health Organization