• Child Find
    Do you know of an infant, child, or adolescent who does not learn easily?  All individuals develop at their own pace but some have more difficulty than others.  There is a way to make a difference for these children and adolescents.
    What is Child Find?
    Child Find is a process designed to identify, locate, and evaluate individuals (birth through 21 years of age) with disabilities who may need special education services.
    Who can begin the Child Find Process?
    Anyone can start the process.  A parent, doctor, teacher, relative or friend can call the Deer Park Independent School District Special Services Department at 832-668-7160.
    Why should we refer?
    Early identification and intervention can prevent failure and frustration.  Special attention to teaching and learning strategies may help individuals overcome barriers to learning.
    What happens after the individual is referred?
    Parents and the school representatives will decide if an evaluation is needed.  The same group may develop an evaluation plan designed to assess areas of concern.  An evaluation, if determined necessary, will be conducted by qualified school district/agency personnel.  The parents and evaluation personnel will have a meeting to talk about evaluation results, special education eligibility and services.
    Who may qualify for special education services?
    Help is available from your local school district for individuals who have the following disabilities according to federal and state criteria:
    • Autism
    • Deaf-blindness
    • Deafness
    • Emotional Disturbance
    • Hearing Impairments
    • Mental Retardation
    • Multiple Disabilities
    • Orthopedic Impairments
    • Other Health Impairments
    • Specific Learning Disability
    • Speech or Language Impairment
    • Traumatic Brain Injury
    • Visual Impairment (including Blindness)
    What services are available?
    Each individual’s need(s) will be addressed on an individualized basis by a team consisting of:
    • public agency representative
    • parent(s) or guardiane
    • valuation personnel
    • teacher(s)
    • student
    The team will review evaluation information, discuss eligibility, identify area(s) of need for specialized instruction, including related services such as occupational therapy, physical therapy, or counseling and develop a plan to fit the needs of the individual.
    How much do services cost?
    All services are provided at no cost to the individual or parents.
    Where do I call?
    For more information, call the Deer Park Independent School District Special Services Department (832-668-7160).