• Overview
    The federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas state law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:
    • in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter or transitional living program)
    • in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing
    • in a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
    • in an abandoned building, a car, at a campground, or on the street
    • in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian
    • in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat)
    • with friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
    If you live in one of these situations, you do NOT need to provide:
    proof of residency
    • immunization records or a TB skin test result
    • school records, or
    • legal guardianship papers

    to enroll in or attend school.