Assistive Technology (AT)
The ARD committee must: consider the AT needs of all students with special needs; determine if there is adequate information to plan an IEP or if there is a need for further evaluation; make the provision of the device a component of the child's IEP; and, implement the AT device within the school setting.
Any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of individuals with disabilities.
Any service that directly assists an individual with a disability in the selection, acquisition, or use of an assistive technology device. Such terms include:
- the evaluation of the assistive technology needs of an individual with a disability
- purchasing, leasing, or otherwise providing the AT devices to individuals with disabilities
- selecting, designing, fitting, adapting, maintaining, repairing, or replacing AT devices
- use of necessary therapies, interventions, or services with AT devices
- training or technical assistance for an individual with disabilities
- training or technical assistance for professionals working with a child with disabilities