Students in Homeless Situations » Overview


The federal McKinney-Vento Act and Texas state law guarantee that you can enroll in school if you live:
  • in a shelter (family shelter, domestic violence shelter, youth shelter or transitional living program)
  • in a motel, hotel, or weekly-rate housing
  • in a house or apartment with more than one family because of economic hardship or loss
  • in an abandoned building, a car, at a campground, or on the street
  • in temporary foster care or with an adult who is not your parent or legal guardian
  • in substandard housing (no electricity, no water, and/or no heat)
  • with friends or family because you are a runaway or unaccompanied youth
If you live in one of these situations, you do NOT need to provide:
  • proof of residency
  • immunization records or a TB skin test result
  • school records, or
  • legal guardianship papers to enroll in or attend school.